Sunday, August 29, 2004

Leg humping, crotch grabbing and other Olympic thoughts

NBC's coverage of the Olympic Games is appalling. In fact it's worse than that, it's pathetic and appalling. This afternoon, at around 1pm EST, there was the start of the final day of athletics in Athens — with the womens' 1500, the mens' 5000 and three of the relays. Over here we had the choice of watching the bronze medal basketball match — an understandable choice as the "Dream Team" were playing — or volleyball & handball. How are volleyball and handball more worthy of live coverage than the climax of the athletics program. The athletics are what the Olympics is all about. I had to 'watch' Kelly Holmes's 1500 metre victory following a text ticker that updated every lap, it wasn't very exciting.

I guess that NBC were saving the athletics for tonight's prime time show. Of course they started off the show with a quick bout of leg humping and crotch grabbing. Apparently this is a sport. They call it freestyle wrestling. If you missed it; imagine an act of sodomy, between two men, and then stick leotards on them, that gets you pretty close to the mark. What a crock of shit. Although it was slightly better than the Greco-Roman wrestling I saw, which consisted of two fat men hugging for a few minutes. And they get the same medal as for the marathon or the decathlon or one of the other more worthwhile events. Who is it that grows up and wants to be a leg humper in the Olympics, actually I can answer that question as the medal winner was called Cael and his brothers were Caleb, Colin and Charlie (the names may be wrong but all 4 of them began with 'C'). So there you have it parents to be, don't name all your children with the same initial, because if you do they'll grow up to be leg humpers.

Kelly Holmes? Very impressive. What else can you say? You're 34, this is your 6th middle distance race in the last 8 or 9 days and you break your national record and win Olympic gold. Très impressionnant.

As for me? I spent most of the day wandering around in the hot, sticky weather. Breakfast was taken at the Northstar cafe. It's one of these modern places that sells good local food in a nice, open environment. Being as this is a stylish modern place in the Short North, while I was there I think I was one of two hetrosexual males in the establishment. After breakfast I had my weekly Saturday CD shopping spree. This week brought Badly Drawn Boy ('cause I quite like him), Jamie Cullum ('cause he's a phenom, as they'd say over here), Gary Jules (purely for Mad World from the excellent Donnie Darko) and Creedence Clearwater Revival (to hear what the original version of Bad Moon Rising sounds like, I only know Thea Gilmore's version). Afterwards I popped in to the Brenen's coffee shop on High St and had a double espresso. Yes, once more, the main reason that I had the coffee was to see if Cute Coffee Girl was working there. And yes, once more, she wasn't but floppy hair guy that recognizes me was. (In fact earlier this week Cute Coffee Girl asked me what my name was, I was so surprised that I neglected to ask her what her's is. Bad Ryan. I figure she was probably just being nice as opposed to being unable to resist my manly charm, but I can dream.) Then I got rained on.

No comments: