Thursday, May 06, 2004

An orgy of spending.... and inside my crazy dream mind

I'm slowly but surely coming to the conclusion that I shouldn't be trusted with my own money. I mean all I have to show for my 26 and a half years on this planet is some of last months paycheck. Well that's not entirely true.... I also have my student loan and my overdraft. But that's over in England.

As an example, at the end of last month I contrived to completely run out of money. It got to the stage that I had to put twenty of the last forty dollars in my wallet back in to my bank account, to ensure that I could pay my telephone bill.

So what happened when I got paid last Friday? After a week of frugal living I tried to spend as much as I could over the course of the next week. So hear I am 4 books, 3 TV series on dvd, 5 films, 9 music albums and 2 learning French cds better off.... and several hundred dollars worse off. I mean it's not as if I was spending the money on something worthwhile, i.e wine, women and drugs (although I did buy two cases of beer).

For the record the books were 3 of Neil Gaiman's Sandman collections and a book by Michael Connelly, called The Poet (which now sits on my pile of 9 unread books). The TV series were all the Father Ted series (very funny show.... this sheep is little and those sheep are far away). The films were Clerks (very good), Mallrats (alright), Chasing Amy (good), Amelie (never seen) and It's a mad mad mad mad world (which I bought pretty much by accident). The albums were D12's D12 World, Lenny Kravitz's Greatest Hits, The Flaming Lips' The Soft Bulletin, Stephin Merritt's Pieces of April soundtrack, XTC's Apple Venus Volume 1, The Magnetic Fields' I and also their 69 Love Songs trilogy. Oh and it was Michel Thomas's French cds.

Strangely enough all the albums I bought I really good. Well okay I'm not convinced that the D12 album is, but the rest of them are very good, and D12 World isn't too bad. After a couple more plays I might think that it is good. The Stephin Merritt (keep wanting to spell his first name Stephen) albums, he is the main guy behind The Magnetic Fields, are all the fault of Neil Gaiman (he keeps on getting mentioned on this blog) recommending him very highly on his blog a number of times. Well that and my aforementioned inability to retain my money for any length of time. Whereas my purchase of the XTC album can be directly attributed to the Wonderfalls theme by Andy Partridge and to Tim Minear (my-near) repeatedly saying how great XTC were. And low and behold it turns out that they are really good. One of their songs, Your Dictionary, is my current favourite song.... probably.

I meant to come home I write a nasty letter to the INS/DHS/BCIS/USCIS asking them for some money. But somehow I seem to have just wasted my time listening to music and watching TV... oh and now writing this.

One night last week I dreamt of my ex-girlfriend (and by ex we are talking about well over year in the past now.... I've lived in three countries, and two different states here in the US, and become a doctor, not the medical kind, since we were 'going out'....... oh and not that kind of dream) and ever since I've been thinking about her and thinking about whether or not I should email her. And I don't think it's very healthy. I mean I'd like to know how she's doing and how her family (who after some initial difficulties I ended up getting along pretty well with) are doing..... but I don't want to seem as though I'm not 'over' her (which, most of the time, I am). Or really what I don't want to hear about is how great the new man in her life is, not that I know if there is one... and I doubt she'd mention it if there was. It all reminds of something Thea Gilmore said before singing one of her songs (and I now can't remember which one) about how it is when you bump in to your ex somewhere and you just want to come across as doing better than them. But anyway I don't think that I'll be doing anything... well not just yet anyway.... and maybe never.

As for other things: my vacuum cleaner doesn't suck.... at least not on the vacuum sense, my Mum and her husband are coming to visit in a week or so, oh.... and I'm moving to Ohio in a couple of months.

But more on all that later..... well maybe not about the vacuum cleaner. Now it's time for The Daily Show.

No comments: