Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Greetings from Raton, NM

Sorry about the scarcity of posts recently, but I've been working my bottom off in Fort Sumner, NM. Now though ANITA has had her maiden balloon flight (I'll post some photos when I get back to Columbus), she soared up in the air to about 120,000 feet and then came crashing back down to Earth. Actually she had quite a gentle landing, most of the gondola and all of the electronics survived.

My stuff, the flight software and data acquisition, pretty much worked as advertised. There were a few things I could have done better and a fw things I should have done differently, but all in all I'm quite happy with the way it turned out.

Right now I'm at the Holiday Inn Express in Raton, New Mexico. Myself and Kim (one of the Ohio State grad students) are driving bvack to Columbus. According to Google we have 1,393 miles to go. Although we might make a little detour or two along the way, maybe starting with Capulin volcano this morning.

Ooh and I've got a nice new home when I get back to Columbus (probably on Thursday). On the first day my new house mates moved into the house, they were busy unpacking stuff downstairs in the kitchen when somebody wandered in the front door went upstairs and rifled through some drawers before making off with some money. I have a feeling it's going to be a very interesting year.

Oh well, this is all for now. I'll try and post an update along the way.

No comments: