Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Defenestration?

You may have noticed that those nice folks over at Merriam-Webster have published a list of the top ten words that people looked up in 2004 (not entirely sure why they didn't wait until the end of the year, but there we go).

I can understand why blog was a popular word and I can see how all the confusing presidential words would be popular, and I guess people were just looking for how you spell hurricane, but what is defenestration doing on the list? Where has this word been used that has made it such a popular search term?

Also I wanted to draw attention to, "Its list of most looked-up words is drawn up every year and it discounts terms such as swear words, that everyone likes to look up...". Why? Because I really do like to look up rude words.

No comments: