Wednesday, June 15, 2005

My old man said follow the van...

Did I mention that I'm back in London, luxuriating in the opulence of UCL once more. They've put walls up where there didn't used to be walls and doors where there didn't used to be doors (some of which lead to buildings where there didn't used to be buildings). It's a little odd to be back and getting coffee downstairs at Gordon's, instead of down at the Brenen's in the architecture building.

Sadly, the lower refectory has been out of chicken the last couple of days so I've had to make do with turkey and bacon baguettes. With any luck this will change in the not too distant future.

Still it's nice to be back, hard to believe that it was something like nine or ten years ago that I first came here as a fresh-faced, wide-eyed little undergraduate (okay, I was probably never a little undergraduate).

I have at least managed to have a Sunday roast (at a carvery out near my grandmother's) and a bottle of St. Peter's Lemon and Ginger Ale (at their London pub the Jerusalem Tavern, which was very nice and nooky). I still haven't had a curry or a beer in the Enismore arms or a number of other things that I promised myself I'd do.

It's odd being back in London. I think I forget how much I like this town when I'm away for so long. Somehow I don't imagine I'll feel quite the same level of fondness when I leave Columbus, although who knows when that may be.

Oh well, it's almost time for a beer. But then again isn't it always?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Merve. It was awfully sweet of you to turn up here and spam your website address.

Some people in my acquaintace have even suggested that Merve could be something of a merchant banker... in the words of
Francis Urquhart, I couldn't possibly comment.

Anonymous said...

You might very well think that...