Thursday, June 03, 2004

Thoughts from a Columbus coffee shop

So, here I am in lovely Columbus. Well, Columbus anyhow. I'm not really sure what I think of the place. I don't think it's really a city, not in the European sense of the word anyway. But it's certainly more of a city than State College. It seems to be the kind of place where it is really rather difficult to live if you do not possess a vehicle, so maybe I'll get myself one when I move here. There are certainly some nice bits and pieces of Columbus but, to my mind at least, they don't really coalesce in to a real city. Then again, it could just be that I have particularly strange idea about what a city is.

Hopefully, by the end of today I will have started the process of renting an apartment. I've had a look at a few places already and I'm going to see another place in about an hour, conveniently located above a bar. Earlier today I had a look around some apartments in a big, old stone building, with solid walls and squeaky wood floors. It reminded me somewhat of the big old Victorian house, well okay I had a pokey flat in the basement, I lived in when I first went to University. Anyhow, one way or I another I'll pick a place and try and sort out the application this afternoon.

Last night I went to see The Day After Tomorrow, it was alright. Nothing amazing, but an okay disaster movie. With some beautiful visuals, and your typical middling plot. What it did have was as much product placement as it could squeeze in to the film. The product, as far as I could tell, was anything that Rupert Murdoch had a grubby finger connected to... it was made by 20th Century Fox, which strangely enough Mr Murdoch (or the company which owns his soul) owns. We had the Los Angeles FOX affiliate, Sky News, Sky Sports, Manchester United (although BSkyB might have flogged their 10% recently) and the Weather Channel (which I'm guessing is a part of the Murdoch empire). And those are just the ones I noticed... and I'm usual fairly unobservant. But nevertheless it was a pretty good way to spend a couple of hours. Plus, of course, it had a pretty girlie... and she was playing a smart, pretty girlie... so even better.

No comments: