Monday, October 25, 2004

Melancholy, free beer and freer thoughts

I'm sure that you'll be pleased to hear that I was only moderately drunk last night. In so much as I remember walking home, all 5 or 6 yards, and talking to people, and getting in to bed and all that jazz. One out of two ain't bad, right?

Today started with me finishing Good Omens. It was a very good read. A lot of it was really rather clever, and I like that in a book. However, I can't decide if I see more of myself in Aziraphale or Crowley, and, more to the point, I can't decide if it's a good or bad thing that I can't decide. Actually, there were a lot of characters that I sympathized with, Shadwell and Newt from the male perspective, Wensleydale and Greasy Johnson as well, come to think of it. I think if I had more courage, and was a different age, I'd fall in love with Pepper or Scarlett (War), but I don't, so I won't. The other thing that this book was great for is that reminded me of the sense of wonder in which I used to hold America, "it's got 39 ice cream flavours, at least". I wonder where that sense of wonder has gone? When I was younger, I used to imagine having a big map of America and sticking pins in all the places I wanted to go to. Now I'm not sure if I want to go anywhere. Familiarity breeds contempt, as they say.

I spent most of today walking around, on a truly beautiful autumn day, listening to the blues and feeling melancholic. I'm not sure if the feeling was the result of the music, or the reason for the choice of the music. It may well have just been post-birthday what am I doing with my life sensation. (In case you're wondering I don't know the answer to that question.)

Probably the highlight of today came when Man. Utd. beat Arsenal. As Ruud was preparing to take his penalty (while the score was still nil-nil), I kept having flashbacks to last year, and myself and my brother driving past Stonehenge when Ruud blasted his stoppage time penalty against the crossbar. I was really quite relieved when he scored today. Plus I won twenty or thirty quid from the match. In fact, my weekend gambling would have been much better if I'd only placed a bet on Juan Pablo Montoya when I saw him at 40/1 to win the Brazilian Grand Prix... but I didn't.

In other news, I hope that the Americans have learned their lesson and never name a place Camp Victory again. I mean don't tempt fate, bad things will happen if you do. As the teachers used to say, "It isn't big, it isn't clever and the other children aren't laughing"... except of course they normally were.

In yet more other news I graduated from the beer club this evening. So from this night forth, I get a free beer on Sunday nights. Tonight's free beer tasted particularly nice. I'm told you never forget your first.

No comments: