Wednesday, April 07, 2004

Giddy highs.... and, whatevers the opposite of giddy, lows

In the last week or so I've received three letters from the social security administration. The first of which was asking me to tell them my social security number, as they had 000-00-000 on file from my employer.... because I couldn't get a number until the INS managed to hold on to my name and nationality simultaneously. The second letter told me that they would be sending me my social security card in the next two weeks. And then yesterday I received my card and number. Which leaves me wondering if I still need to reply to the first letter...... ho hum, guess I will anyway.

Strangely enough, I think the social security administration is actually competent. Of course compared to the INS/BCIS/USCIS/DHS they could not really help but appear competent. The only thing the SS people managed to mess up is to do with the name of the multinamed beast of fuckwitdom. On the card that my lovely new SS card came attached to (well I say SS card, shabby piece of paper would probably be closer to the mark) it says, and I paraphrase outside the quotation marks: if you are a dirty foreigner who happens to have been allowed to work here in our glorious country for a temporary amount of time then your social security card will be stained with "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION". Whilst on my SS card, i.e on the same piece of card/paper as the above message, it says "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH DHS AUTHORIZATION". Quality control at it's very zenith.

Now that I have a SS number I am finally in the position to be refused credit due to my lack of credit history in the US. I applied for a credit card with my bank, well actually with MBNA, today... so in the next month I should find out how much, if anything, I'm worth.

Sadly, this weekend brought me the disappointing news that those nasty people in charge at FOX have cancelled, with immediate effect, my new favourite show Wonderfalls. Although in all fairness to FOX the fact that only 2.9 million people watched the last ever episode to be aired (on FOX), compared to say the 10.2 million unimaginative fuckwits who watched the 40th repeat of The Ten Commandments, probably made it's demise inevitable. I just hope it finds a new home on a different network or in a dvd box set, so that I can see the last 9 episodes.

I've also discovered from the boards of buffistas.org that Tim Minear a co-executive producer/writer/talented bloke to have around the place who helped to create Wonderfalls, is a nice bloke. His niceness level puts him on a par with the, previously peerless, Neil Gaiman. Mr Minear is so nice that he even personally answered my question about how 20th century fox (the tv studio that made Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Wonderfalls) is related to FOX (the network that cancelled the last two). I also found out he's currently doing jury service.... no point to my mentioning it, just thought I would.

Lots of other stuff... but it's late and I'm sleepy. Oh yeah I love my new furniture. It's all very pine.


No comments: