Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Thoughts from my sick mattress

That is it's me who's sick and not my mattress. Which as far as can tell, and how do you tell these things, is happy and healthy. Thinking about it. I wonder if the title for this blog will even show up.... if it doesn't the first sentence will make even less sense than my usual opening gambits. And what exactly is a gambit? I know it has something to do with chess... but I can't really be bothered to find out what.


All yesterday I was feeling lethargic... and then this morning (which I always want to write as the smorning.... cause that's how I say it) I woke up with a dodgy stomach, and a sore throat and various other ailments. Meaning that I had to go and spend lots of money on medicine, and Cadbury's chocolate, at the local pharmacy. So now.. after spending most of the day sucking throat sweets and the like I have a mouth that feels all furry and nasty. I might have to go and brush my teeth. Which I am sure is a thrilling story.


There are lots and lots of things that I have been meaning to write about... but my mind is now almost entirely empty. And did I mention my throat hurts.


While I still have the energy to, I want to plug a few websites that I am strangely devoted to. Up first is Neil Gaiman's site and in particular his journal, in which he writes about all manner of things. Some of which are unbelievably interesting... and through which I got to hear the wonderful "March of the Sinister Ducks". For instance on Sunday I learned that Julie Schwartz had died.... and I didn't even know who he was... or the fact that he was a he.... and I got pointed to http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2004_02_08.html#003668 where I read all manner of fascinating things about the recently departed man.


It all got too much for me so I got up and brushed my teeth. Another site that I have been reading on occasion over the past month or so is Rose Neko's weblog. I found a link to her site from an article she wrote about the (really rather good) Firefly series on the Firefly fansite. And I'm not quite sure why I keep on reading.... probably just cause she's a girl who likes something that I like. But it might also have something to do with the fact she has a nice writing style.... who knows... I find it best not to spend to long thinking about these things, as I don't really want to know what is going on in the darkest corners of my mind.


On a complete change of tract there is the always interesting Football365.com site. Whose t-shirt I am seen proudly modelling in one of the links on the right-hand side. If you have any interest in (proper) football, or you just want to enjoy the best range of t-shirts anywhere on the web. Check out the site. They have lots of interesting feature writers... including the near legendary Andy Gray. The site was (I believe) founded in part by Danny Kelly, and has for the last 4 or 5 years that I have been reading it been the best source for football opinion around... which is kind of what you'd expect from an opinonated so and so like Danny Kelly. The forums and reader's letters contain some of the most entertaining material I read each week.


There were lot's of amusing little things that I wanted to mention... but I've no fogot them all. Maybe later......

No comments: